Sunday, August 29, 2004

PTR 91

Thats a Heckler and Koch clone of the G3 or HK91. They no longer can import these weapons into the country and the US has been flooded with junk resembling the G3. I for one have been trying to buy one for years now. I have a friend that has a Portugese version of the German HK 91 but he built it off of a reciever that had been cut into 3 pieces so it's kind of rough looking. He wants like $600 bucks for it and I have threatened to buy it. However I have found what I am looking for. The PTR-91, is hopefully the answer to my prayers. I traded my M4A3 in on it and the guy traded me even. I lost a little money but gained alot more gun. The M4 is a wussy gun as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, the .223 is a nice potent cartridge (for its wussy size) but in the realm of .22 caliber rounds is occupys the lower rungs of the Varmint ladder. The .220 Swift and the .22-250, run rings around the .223. Now the .308 on the other hand is a nice meaty cartridge. While it kind of occupys the middle of the road of the .30 cal high powers (with its above average muzzle velocity, and energy) it does have the distinction of being the most inherantly accurate of the .30 cals. It hits harder and shoots farther and more accurately than a .300 Savage .30-30 win, .303 Brit, 7.62x39 R, and the 30-40 Krag. Its comparable to the .30-06, and the 7.62x54R although a bit slower. All these .30 cals are deadly and supurb calibers. I just happen to like the affordability, the comfort, accuracy, and the all around use of the .308. It's, in my opinion, the best all around caliber. Good in close. Good out long. In the brush, open range whatever. Now I know what you are saying. There are calibers that alot of people like better. If I hear another person tell me how fast a .270 bullet goes or how flat a 7mm Rem Mag shoots I think I am going to puke. I could go out and buy a 7mm mag and shoot it some. Probably once a year getting ready for deer season. And put it back in the case and wait until next year. Hooooooo Hummm. While that rifle is sitting nicely in its case, I am out on the range ripping it up with a SKS or some other cheap semi auto. My Yugo SKS is amazing. For 150 bucks its the best rifle I ever bought. At 47 dollars my Mosin Naggant M-44 is my beater. It kicks your brains out but at just 10 cents a round its so much fun to bang away and work that action. People on the range beside you think your a madman. At my range there are drums that are mounted in front of the shooter. I guess to keep the concussion from hitting the shooter beside you. They are lined with foam rubber to further deaden the sound. All the concussion comes back in your face. Your hair blows back and it generally gives me a stiffy. Anyway I was shooting that M-44 and the concussion actually blew the foam out of the front of the tube. Anyway my point is the .308 is a damn fine caliber for anyone that wants to shoot up some cheap rounds and still have that feeling in your shoulder at the end of the day like you shot something manly. The .223 don't cut it for all you AR fans out there. Might as well dust off the .22 as shoot that wuss gun............uhhh did I say that outloud just now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home