Tuesday, August 10, 2004

AR-15s suck

Ok. I know what you are thinking. This guys off his rocker. I have been a big opponent of the AR-15 for years. I have said everything from its underpowered and unreliable, to it being a failier altogether as a battle rifle. Then I go out and buy one. Seduced by its mean sleak looks and the promise that it shoots flat and straight. Some of the things they don't tell you about the thing is that its kinda junky feeling in your hands. You can look at it and tell by the close clearances and the refined look of the metal and finish that its a high quality piece of hardware but it still does not change the fact that when you shoulder the weapon it feels really unsubstantial in your hands. Light yes but junky. Fairly easy to point and shoot though. Accuracywise this thing is a shooter. But then again so is my 150 dollar SKS. I can't speak for any other SKS but those Yugoslavian M59/66 SKSs are very accurate. At least out to 100 yards. Thats all the bigger my range is. With cheapo Wolf ammo, a cheapo Target Sports scope, and a mucho cheapo BEC scope mount, I can group 10 shots in a 4 inch group every time. No matter how hot the barrel gets. Now to be fair the M4 of mine has a barrel that is 6 inches shorter, and has a 20 round mag that groups 20 rounds inside of a 3 inch group at 100 yards and it dont matter if the barrel is cold hot warm whatever. I'm not a sharpshooter by any means. I never claimed to be. The AR is a more accurate gun. I am taking the SKS deer hunting this year however. Bullets are twice as big but thats not the big reason. The biggest reason is that the AR-15 is the most uncomfortable gun I have ever shot. There is absolutely no recoil at all. NONE. Which surprised me. I have shot other semi .223s before and there is a little recoil. The AR-15 has none. What it does have is a concussion blast that hits you dead center in the forehead everytime you squeeze off a round. I actually got a head ache from it. From that and the fact that all the bullet gasses hit you right in the mouth for some reason. I shoot left handed and the ejection port is on the right. If you shoot 20 rounds off rapid fire you almost choke from it. Some other intangibles that I had a problem with is the sound of the spring going "boing!" inside of the stock everytime you shoot. It gets to be an annoyance. Although a small one. Some other nitpicky problems, but the biggest problem I have with this gun is the ear shattering report. Now I have shot many guns in my time. Most of them I have shot from time to time without ear protection. Recoil don't bother me if its around the .30-06, .300 Win Mag range. All kinds of things about a gun I can take pretty much in stride and accept that as a characteristic of the weapon. The report on an M4A2 can only be described as incredible. I don't know how far the report carries but I do know that the shooter will experience actual pain. I did. I decided that I was going to shoot this rifle, to acclimate myself to the sound before I go hunting and shoot it in the woods, without hearing protection. I mean if some dude breaks into my house I don't want that to be the first time I hear this guns 'bang'. I shot one time and my left ear felt like it had burst. Like I said I have shot many guns before without hearing protection. I'm not some puss that never shot before. It was an amazing sound. To imagine our soldiers having to shoot and shoot and shoot that thing I can only pitty them. So in an abrupt closing I like my AKs better to plink with and to hunt with. Hands down. I can only imagine that the AK is a much more substantial battle rifle as well. Remember you heard it here first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home